Since the inception of the ISGL Youth Group (IYG) in 2010, we have worked to teach our youth important life skills to help them deal with challenges and issues they have faced or possibly will face in their lives. One important life skill is learning to cook a meal! Cooking a meal from scratch is a useful skill to have in all facets of life – as a youngster trying to impress mom and dad in the kitchen, as a college student away from home needing a late-night post exam meal, and as one enters the work force and can’t afford to survive on fast food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Learning to cook meals as a family can strengthen bonds between family members while also encouraging all members to be diligent in consuming a healthy dose of delicious, nutritious food. Meals and delicious dessert treats we have prepared in the IYG kitchen in the past few years can now be re-constructed in your family’s home by using the recipes we have provided below. Get your kids involved and watch their culinary confidence and self-esteem take off!
AMERICAN COOKING NIGHT (fried chicken, mac-and-cheese, mashed potatoes, garden salad) – American Recipes
BURRITO NIGHT (make your own burritos) – Burrito pics
- Take a flat, circular tortilla (6-8 inches in diameter) and place on a piece of aluminum foil
- Add 3 spoons of either black beans or pinto beans onto the tortilla (leave 1 inch from edges empty)
- Add 3-5 spoons of white rice (Uncle Ben’s works perfectly fine!)
- Sprinkle your favorite veggies on top (tomatoes, lettuce, black olives, etc.)
- Add a handful of your favorite chopped cheese
- Fold one edge of the tortilla inwards one inch. Repeat with opposite edge.
- Tuck the long end of the tortilla over your ingredients and roll into a cylinder
- Wrap your burrito in aluminum foil and enjoy!
COW IN A BLANKET (fun and easy for children ages 5-8) – Cow in a Blanket Recipe
ICE CREAM SOCIAL (homemade ice cream in a bag!) – Ice Cream Recipe!
ITALIAN COOKING NIGHT (spaghetti, spaghetti sauce, grilled cheese sandwiches) – Italiano Ricetta
MID EAST COOKING NIGHT (shawerma sandwich, shisk tawouk, and bashamel/bechamel)
OMELET & PANCAKE BREAKFAST – Breakfast Recipe
PIZZA NIGHT – Pizza, Pizza Recipe